What’s the best part about thanksgiving? The food right? What if I told you you could make two of my thanksgiving faves (Mac and cheese and collard greens) in under an hour year round?!
You can make it happen and here’s how! First, you will need an instant pot! Grab yours here.
For the collard greens you'll obviously need a 1 lb. bag of collard greens, 1 whole onion (diced) and (if desired) your meat of choice (a small amount will do). I've used some slivers of deli honey ham or prepare it meatless. Now, the seasonings will vary depending on your tastes. Here's what I used:
Old Bay Seasoning (Grab it here)
Garlic Powder (any brand will do)
Onion Powder (any brand will do)
Lawry's Chicken & Poultry Rub (This might be hard to find so, this should do)
Paprika (any brand will do)
Lawry's Seasoned Salt (or any other brand)
Water or Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
Liquid Smoke (any brand will do)
Sauté your diced onion. Feel free to sprinkle some garlic powder on them while cooking and cook until fragrant and slightly translucent.
Pour a 1 cup of water or reduced sodium chicken broth into the Instant Pot and season to taste. If you're not sure what's too much or not enough, start with 1 teaspoon of each until you get the desired flavor. Personally, I get heavy handed on the Paprika and add small amounts of the other seasonings.
Drop your bag of collard greens and meat in the pot, close your pot, set it for high pressure and place it on manual mode for 5 minutes if you like your greens crunchy or 10 minutes if you like them more chewy.
And here’s the recipe for the Baked Mac & Cheese and the video where I found the recipe.
16oz Packaged Elbow Macaroni
2 Large Eggs
3 Tbs Margarine Or Butter
12oz Canned Evaporated Milk
4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
8oz Sharp Yellow Cheddar Cheese
8oz Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
1 Tbs Salt
1 Tbs Sugar
1 Tsp Pepper
1. The first thing you’re going to do is focus on your cheese. Chop your block of sharp yellow and sharp white cheddar cheese into small pieces.
2. Add the 2 eggs, milk, salt, sugar, and pepper to a bowl, then stir until everything is well blended.
3. Next, place a pot of water over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, add your macaroni.
4. Boil the macaroni for 5 to 8 minutes, then let the macaroni sit in the hot water for a more minutes.
5. Drain water, then place macaroni back into pot.
6. Place pot over low heat. Add butter, shredded cheddar cheese, then stir in well until cheese is fully melted.
7. Place macaroni and cheese in a baking pan.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
9. Add the egg and milk mixture.
10. Stir in the chopped sharp cheese, then stir in well.
11. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Source: Philly Boy J
Drop down in the comments and let me know how your dish turns out!